It’s been just over six months since we landed in LA, bleary eyed, trying not to get annoyed at our immigration officer. I’ve had an absolute ball over the last half a year. I love the weather, I love Pasadena, I love our house, and I’ve even made a friend or two.
We had a big ‘to do’ list when we arrived and now it’s time to see how we got on:
1. pack up our apartment & 2. say goodbye to everyone – done
3. apply for new visas & 4. fly to London to have an interview for said visas – done
Post: Getting an E-3 Visa
5. get at least one car – done
Post: Driving in LA
6. find somewhere to live (preferably to buy – so add to the list ‘buy a house’) – so done
7. I have to get a job – not done
So far I’ve put in 14 applications, investigated 3 promising leads, and had one interview.
Aside from the above, in the past six months we’ve also done the following:
- lived in a hotel for two months [Post: Living at the Residence Inn],
- moved into our new house, and
- taken delivery of our storage locker from Australia,
- and had four separate sets of friends and family to stay at our house.
- Plus our house was filmed for a TV program! (Battle Creek)
- We’ve also installed an over-the-range microwave oven [Post: First DIY] and,
- we (including Dad – thanks Dad!) have made some progress in the garden, [Post: Getting dirty in the garden].
- We’ve been to see Griffith Observatory [Post: Griffith Observatory],
- the Space Shuttle Endeavour (me – four times!),
- and Mt Wilson Observatory for a viewing night. [Post: Observing Night at Mt Wilson]
- I also went on a tour of JPL.
- We’ve been on a road trip to San Francisco [Posts: Pasadena-Berkeley Roadtrip, Sequoia National Park in a Day],
- and I’ve been on a road trip to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas [Posts: Roadtrip Part 1, Part 2, Part 3]
- We’ve been to Huntington Gardens (several times) and the LA Arboretum, and
- to Beverley Hills and Santa Monica.
- With Dad, I’ve been to the Hollywood walk of fame (yuck!),
- to Santa Anita Races,
- walked along Broadway in Downtown,
- and taken city skyline photos (with my phone) from various places.
- We’ve found our favourite/favorite restaurants, local shopping mall, cheap cinema, and library.
- We held a house warming party, and been to a 4th July BBQ, a Pie Night (epic), and a Halloween gathering.
- We’ve been to the Caltech Athenaeum many many times, including once for a ‘cooking lesson’. [Post: Lobsters and Liquid Nitrogen]
- I’ve joined the Caltech International Spouses Club, and
- I’ve started volunteering with Reading Partners.
- And lastly, we have hummingbirds visit us now!
For the next six months my plan is:
1. Get a job, or,
2. have a brilliant idea to make a million bucks.
That is all.
Question: What else should we do in LA?